Select Page

Four days ago, I made a bold claim in front of countless internet witnesses: I was going to get to serious grips with some WIPs over the long weekend.  My dress form was getting far too snooty, wearing my unfinished dress and cardigan and lording it over me at every opportunity.  Things had gone too far; something had to be done about it all.

On Friday, I formulated a plan of attack.

  1. Finish the dress.
  2. Start sewing the neckband on my cardigan.

On Saturday, my plan of attack suffered an enjoyable setback on the form of a day spent in the city with my writing group where I worked on yet another WIP: my NaNo novel from 2014.  It was such a brilliant day that the time positively flew and I didn’t realise how late it was until I was walking home from the train station and wondering why all the shops were closed so early.

It was 6pm.

I’d left the house at 8:30am that morning.

So on Sunday, things were pulled back on track.  Firstly, I whipped the dress off my dress form with a triumphant cry of delight.  This was the last time it would be gracing the mannequin’s body – it was taking one step closer to gracing my body instead.  Soon afterwards, I was crossing everything and hoping that the dregs of cotton on my sewing machine would allow me to complete the sewing of the waistband.  Another step closer!

This was followed by the ever exciting task of hand-stitching the lining down, which admittedly does give my imagination time to fly, but also provides my cats with an opportunity to sit on the very item I’m trying to sew.  When I wasn’t shoving cats off the table, I spent an inordinate amount of time worrying that I was pulling the lining too tight and causing ripples in the outside material.  If anyone has any tips on how to avoid this, I’m all ears.

Flush with the success of my newly-stitched lining, I moved on to my cardigan and finished sewing the neckband.  The cats were delighted by this, as it gave them the opportunity to try to sleep on an entirely different garment.  It turns out that sewing the neckband is the exact last thing I should have done, according to the instructions, but I never pay that much attention to making up instructions.  Well, I don’t now (apparently).  At this point, I remembered I hadn’t actually blocked the cardigan, so I’m now in the process of doing that.  This is when my cats’ propensity for sitting on everything comes in handy as it speeds up the drying process no end.  Plus, there’s a towel between them and the garment, which means a lot less fur filters through.

With this little speed hump introduced to the cardigan construction, I turned back to the dress and tweaked the side bits of the bodice so they sit properly.  Once I’ve sewn those in, all I need to do is wait for everything to settle so I can hem it.  It’s this close to being ready and I am on track for being able to wear it at another meeting of my writing group next weekend.

So I’m ahead on one of my goals and a little behind on the other, but I still made great strides.  The main thing is that my dress form has been deprived of its dress and is now in the process of thinking about its past behaviour.

How was everyone else’s weekend?  Did you get to grips with your WIPs, too?

%d bloggers like this: